Kanye West’s former bodyguard Steve Stanulis is apparently shopping around the story of his time working with the controversial rapper to various streaming services.
The former NYPD officer and Chippendales dancer told Page Six that two studios have approached him about the potential project and that he wants to start filming as soon as next month. “They see this as a 48 Hours for real, or a Lethal Weapon for real,” he explained. “It comes from my mouth, I worked with [West] two separate times.” He added, “Every day was a new adventure. There are a ton of stories I haven’t told.”
Stanulis says he worked with the rapper in 2016 during notable moments in his career, such as the Met Gala, during New York Fashion Week, and when he had a “meltdown” before a Saturday Night Live performance. While Stanulis claims, “I was one of his favorite guys,” their relationship has since devolved. In 2016, Page Six reports that West threatened his former bodyguard with a $30 million lawsuit after he complained about working for the rapper in an interview with a U.K. newspaper, claiming that Stanulis was violating his confidentiality agreement. At the time, a representative for West reportedly told Gossip Cop, “This sad, parasitic maniac has violated every basic human tenet of decency with his story of lies.” But Stanulis countered, “He’s trying to bully me with this ridiculous lawsuit.”
Last year, the bodyguard also went on the Hollywood Raw podcast to talk about his time with West, calling him the “neediest, moodiest, and worst tipper” he’s worked for and one of his “least favorite people” with “ridiculous rules.” He also recounted the time West allegedly almost got in a fight with an Italian dignitary’s security team because West got a little tipsy and went into the wrong suite at the Waldorf Astoria.
But while a huge multimillion-dollar lawsuit would be a deterrent to most people telling their story, Stanulis is using the event as the jumping-off point for his proposed documentary. “It starts off with the $30 million lawsuit, and works backwards, with all the craziness. Why not address the elephant in the room?” he explained. “They threatened to sue me two separate times—once back in the day, and then on a podcast this year. It went viral, and they threatened to sue me again for $10 million, and my attorney countered and it just went away.” He added that he hopes the documentary will make it so “nobody has to ask me about this ever again. I swear to you—no matter what I do…somewhere along the line [the job with West] comes up.” But with the release of the film, he says there will be “nothing left to be said. I’m saying it all.”
More Great Stories From Vanity Fair
— Why Kensington Palace Just Can’t Let Go of Meghan Markle
— On With the Show! See the 2021 Hollywood Portfolio
— In Conversation: Roxane Gay and Monica Lewinsky on Trauma
— Reply All’s Implosion Reveals the Limits of One-Sided Internet Relationships
— Harry and Meghan Have “No Regrets” as Royal Exit Becomes Official
— Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen on Their Friendship’s Origins
— Proust Questionnaire: Watch Michael B. Jordan Answer Personality-Revealing Questions
— Can This Photographer Save Beirut’s Architectural Treasures?
— Seven Fashion Brands to Shop for a Fresh Start This Spring
— From the Archive: How Tobacco Heiress Doris Duke Got Away With Murder
— Not a subscriber? Join Vanity Fair to receive full access to VF.com and the complete online archive now.